I’ve spoken to a lot of people lately that are planning to begin, or have recently began, their University studies. When I ask how or why did you choose this course, there have been some really mixed responses, which highlights that there isn’t a straightforward formula…
Just as you’ve finally chosen which area you want to focus on, you then need to choose which course will get you there.
With tens, hundreds and sometimes thousands of options, it can be hard to decipher why you should choose one course over another. What you probably do next is find the course online and get a carefully constructed marketing document aimed at what can draw you in further. So, what should you be finding out about a course or degree before you sign up?
After collating the responses, here are the 6 key factors that we use to structure content from people reviewing a course.
1. An overview of the course – What were the key points that made the course great / average / poor?
2. Job Prospects – Did the course help you to advance your job prospects? Courses can often have more of a theoretical focus to them, but is this easily transferrable to work ready situations?
3. Coursework Relevancy – Given your understanding of the industry, was the coursework (including topics, projects) up to date and relevant?
4. Teachers – Were the teachers engaging? Did they have experience in the field? Were they available to their students and not pre-occupied with other courses or research?
5. Time Worthy – Never underestimate the time commitment required to complete a course. Money is often the most dominant thought, but committing to complete a course can impact your work, love and most importantly social life :).
6. Money Worthy – Looking at what you’re getting from the course (thinking about the points mentioned above), do you recommend this to others and does it justify the price tag in order to complete the course? Did you get the results that you were after?
This is a broad brush that we’re trying to apply. I don’t expect this to be a magic formula for all courses and all people, but I hope it can be used to help people make a decision about where they should invest their time and money.
Answer these questions on a course you’ve studied at study101 and you can win a $AUD250 Amazon voucher.
Thanks for listening,